Federici: KFOR conducted talks with all parties involved with the cessation of protests in northern Kosovo

FOTO: KFOR

KFOR has taken further steps on the ground by increasing patrols along major traffic routes affected by roadblocks and deploying its units at the Jarinje and Brnjak border crossing points, KFOR commander, Major General Franco Federici, said on Monday.

Federici underlined that KFOR is operating in accordance with its mandate, coming from UNSCR Resolution 1244 of 1999.

He recalled that KFOR has also conducted talks with all parties involved with the cessation of protests in Northern Kosovo.

“The measures adopted, previously discussed by the KFOR Commander with all Institutions in Kosovo and with the Mayors of the Northern Municipalities, are aimed at favoring a rapid de-escalation of the tensions created in the last week and restoring a safe and secure environment and freedom of movement for all communities in Kosovo.”

Previously, KFOR confirmed for KoSSev that it increased the number of routine patrols Kosovo-wide, including in the north.

“KFOR is closely monitoring the situation across Kosovo and remains focused on the daily implementation of its mandate – derived from the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 of 1999 – to ensure a safe and secure environment and freedom of movement for all communities living in Kosovo. KFOR has increased the number and duration of routine patrols Kosovo-wide, including in northern Kosovo,” KFOR confirmed in a statement for KoSSev.

The four mayors from the northern municipalities met with KFOR Commander Major General Franco Federici on Monday.

„The KFOR commander said that KFOR will not interfere in political issues or forcibly remove roadblocks,“ they wrote in a joint statement.

The roads near Jarinje and Brnjak have been blocked since last Monday following the decision of the Kosovo government to introduce reciprocity for Serbian license plates. Kosovo special police forces have been stationed at the barricades since Monday.

On Saturday, two offices in the municipality of Zubin Potok, where the vehicle registration centre is located – and where temporary RKS license plates are issued, burned down. Also, two bombs were thrown at the vehicle registration centre in Zvecan on the same night. Fortunately, the bombs did not explode.

The army of Serbia has been placed on a full alert. Previously, the Kosovo media and part of the pro-governmental Serbian media have been publishing extensive reports on Serbian planes flying over Jarinje, the presence of Serbian army on the other side of crossing, as well as the recent arrival of the Russian ambassador and the Serbian Minister of Defense to Jarinje.

In the meantime, EU spokesperson, Peter Stano, confirmed for KoSSev that the main negotiators in the so-called technical dialogue – Petar Petkovic and Besnik Bislimi – will meet in Brussels on Wednesday. There is still no confirmation on whether Aleksandar Vucic and Albin Kurti will also be meeting at the time.

Read more: 

KFOR: We increased the number of routine patrols Kosovo-wide, including the north

Comments

comments



Preuzimanje i objavljivanje tekstova sa portala KoSSev nije dozvoljeno bez navođenja izvora. Hvala na poštovanju etike novinarske profesije.